Monday, April 1, 2013

Unique and Bizarre Days in April


When I was doing research on what to talk about in the blog today, I looked up April Month, Bizarre and Unique Holidays.  I came across multiple websites all saying what is to be celebrated in April. 
April is National Poetry Month and National Humor Month. 

Sick by Shell Silverstein

Sick "I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more - that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut, my eyes are blue -
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke -
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb,
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my spine is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is -
what? What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is ... Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"


April is also Stress Awareness Month.  Stress can be both physical and emotional.  It can take a toll on your health.  Remember to relax, take a deep breath, and 1) avoid the things that stress me when I can, 2) listen to my body, and when it feels under stress, I will try to identify the cause, 3) practice the relaxation techniques that have worked for me in the past, and remain flexible and try different things to reduce my stress.
There were many unique and bizarre holidays in April.  I chose a few to share with you.  If you would like to look at the rest or at another month, go to www.holidayinsights.com.
April 1st is April fool’s day but it’s also International Fun at Work Day.  Tell a joke or share some of the ridiculous laws from the Laughter blog at work.  But remember, don’t believe anything you are told.
"How was your game, dear?" asked Jack's wife Tracy. 
"Well, I was hitting pretty well, but my eyesight's gotten so bad I couldn't see where the ball went," he answered. 
"But you're 75 years old, Jack!" admonished his wife, "Why don't you take my brother Scott along?" 
"But he's 85 and doesn't play golf anymore," protested Jack. 
"But he's got perfect eyesight. He would watch the ball for you," Tracy pointed out. 
The next day Jack teed off with Scott looking on. Jack swung and the ball disappeared down the middle of the fairway. "Do you see it?" asked Jack. 
"Yup," Scott answered. 
"Well, where is it?" yelled Jack, peering off into the distance. 
"I forgot."
Read more:http://www.ajokeaday.com
April 5th is National Walk to Work day.  This may be hard for some people to do because they live farther from their work.  I am not able to walk to work, but I may walk around my work at lunch time.
April 7th is No Housework Day!!  This is my kind of a day!  My advice would be to clean your house on April 6th so on No Housework Day it doesn’t look like a disaster.
“I can’t clean because I get distracted by all the cool things I find.”
“Cleaning with kids in the house is like brushing your teeth while eating Oreos.”
April 13th is Scrabble Day.  If you don’t like to play scrabble, pick any game to play.  Playing a game with friends is good for your emotional and mental health. 
April 20th is Volunteer Recognition Day.  Thank you to all the volunteers.  You offer your services at your own free will. You are giving a gift to your community. 
April 23rd is Take a Chance Day.  Is there something that you have wanted to try but haven’t?  Today is the day to do that!  Go on a balloon ride, try a new sport, ask someone out to dinner.
April 27th is Tell a Story Day.  Tell your children or grandchildren your story.  Write it down so they are able to tell their children and grandchildren.  If you have a loved one with dementia, show them an object to see if they will tell you story about it from their past!
April 30th is National Honesty Day.  Did I mention April 4th is Tell a Lie Day?  I like April 30th much better. 
"If you truly want honesty, don't ask questions you don't really want the answer to." proverb quote
No matter what day it is in April, don’t forget to slow down, take in the sights, have fun, and stop to smell the roses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment